Friday 7 May 2010

Breath of Avignon

I bought a jelly roll a while back American Jane, Breath of Avignon. In a moment of weakness, the rotary cutter was calling me and I found myself at the machine .. patching again!

If you have ever wondered why I sew with so much red, it is because I buy red homespun by the bolt. I found it more economical to do it this way as I use so much red in what I do.



The fabric is very very busy and I played around for a while with mixing and matching the different patterns together and ended up with this. One 3x3 block and a block done using the Oh Fransson method again, with a fussy cut center and a frame around the outside.

How do you work out your quilts?
Do you sketch them out, use a computer or just "go with the flow"?



I think that the red blocks balance the busy-ness of the blocks. I decided to cut two 2 1/2 inch strips down to four 1 1/4 inches to do the border around the outside and when I get my backing fabric in and my batting I am hoping to do some hand quilting detail around the red blocks in white perle embroidery thread.


For the backing, I have ordered a yard of this matching fabric from Hancocks. I haven't ordered fabric from these guys before, so I am hoping that it works out!

No comments: